the end of our tour of duty (free)

 



Right, lets begin with a question, as we bring this blog to a close. Why do people (not all people, but many people) wish you a 'safe flight' - is there some implication that flying is dangerous and this will exonerate the conscience if we do all go down in a ball of flames?  And why is the same level of concern rarely used on the outbound leg of a journey, where it is always, have a great trip etc Statistically if there is a danger, its just as dangerous. And then we know other forms of transport are much more dangerous, we do get the occasional safe travels/journey, but its again, more likely to be have a good trip. Answers on a postcard please, is there a correlation between this term and a fear of flying/technology?

Onto more important matters, but still safety related. We survived 3 nights in not the best of neighbourhoods without any injury to our person or property, which statistically was far more likely than anything flight related.   A few I think have picked up on my concerns from the last couple of blogs, I wonder if perhaps I was playing it down, certainly a little so as not to alarm Carys, although Bryn seemed to think he could look after himself.  (against a firearm!)  More in depth research shows 20 years ago we would have been fools, now we are simply foolhardy.




A few hours sleep and it was over the Bixby parkrun which was a pleasant enough trundle out in some countryside away from any gang warfare. Bryn didn't come, keen to hold the fort, or get some sleep. 2.5 weeks of travel have certainly taken their toll as what was a good course and good conditions was one where approaching any of the top gears was way out of the question. A few other welsh there to chat with, and a reminder its time to get back to training and healthy living when we get home.  Home, yes, very much now a reality.





What was also a reality was an unnoticed set of scratches on our hire car that we hadn't picked before. Certainly been no actual incidents on this trip but we are crossing our fingers we don't get any repercussions from Alamo.  It must be said the checks at pick up and drop off nowhere near as rigorous as in other countries so maybe they are a bit more go with the flow. As we will be contesting ...



It was then a sharp turnaround at the Airbnb, sticking a rocket up Bryns arse, and getting out of there quick smart.  



We then began our long, 18 mile trip north to the airport .. did we need a car on this trip, probably not. Allowed us to go and shout some abuse at Facebook, or Meta. By the time we travel again I'd love to be off that pointless platform (and twitter) where people really do not show the best of themselves (including me) and the platform such an arch manipulator.  But it does allow me to share stuff, so holding my nose.



Onto the Mall after that, Hillsdale, where we needed to while away a few hours. I did plan to buy some stuff, but held back to see what the car bill might look like!  Carys, Bryn and Chrissi bought some odds and sods, but then it was onto the closing ceremony of a trip. Forget Wendys or that Slut Place, the real US  curtain call is of course Panda Express.  So have we now got a new narrative, Wendy, the eggy or slutty (delete as appropriate) panda? Possible children's book ?



So 3 Buds down in the airport we start to bring this story to a close. Trip of a lifetime (since the last one, and before the next one), Chrissi and I have had a reflective chat on a few things we will keep, and a few we may eject. Not each other as we don't half do well together, and in fact with the kids it has been a great blast.



Won't do another blog post, but happy to take questions and comments below if the conversation is to live on for a while.

Decent kip on the flight home, one of our luggage didn't come with us, but probably the best time for that to happen.  First time ever for me in what may be flights that would be well into three figures I would think.

Its certainly been a few ups and downs that is for sure, but nothing that hasn't been overcome and helpful to go with the flow, roll with the punches etc  Plus points pretty much all of Japan (but Fuji the pinnacle), all of Fiji (the Island trip the highlight), some of the US (footie night was great), lower points is a bit of weariness as we reached the end of the trip and our final location did not help in that regard.  San Fran pleasant enough but doesn't stir the emotions for me it does with others, not in the way that other cities do for me (and there are many, Hong Kong, Brisbane, Sydney, Vegas, pretty much any town in France or Scandinavia) Plenty of the world still to see if circumstances continue to allow, but through backpacking, working in travel and making travel the goal since not working in travel I've been so fortunate to have even bad experiences abroad and then reflect and narrate the stories afterwards.  Still character building? Happy if that continues to be the case.

So back to the real world, a few weeks to restore some running and cycling fitness.  Friends and I are doing a challenge in September to raise money for MND if anyone wants to sponsor us here 


Well I can’t quite believe that this is our last post for this blog! We’ve had quite the couple of weeks, and I’m not sure whether they’ve gone quickly or slowly? We started out the day by heading out early to Parkrun. Google maps has been a good friend to us on this trip, and assisted us in finding how to get to Byxbey park. We arrived nice and early with next to no mishaps so that was relieving. The run was lovely, quite small but a nice number of friendly people. It was an out and back straight twice which seemed like it would be good but I think feeling tired and the humidity was a bit offputting. It was quite dusty too, but the park was pretty, and it was nice to check off another run in America!




Once back at the Airbnb we got a move on and quickly tried to get everything organised and packed. We were on the road again, me in the front seat assisting maps - I’ve enjoyed having this car to travel in, although it’s not been the easiest for dad to drive, as it’s quite sleek and spacious.

We went to visit the Facebook/Meta sign at its HQ where there was a hoard of students on a trip just leaving, and then headed out to the mall that I’d planned for a couple days earlier. I had a checklist for The Cheesecake Factory (this was before we ended up going the other day), Bath and Body World, and Panda Express, and this checked all three. We parked up and had a mooch around the shops, then getting some breakfast from a cafe. I had a tropical smoothie which was refreshing and probably helped my struggles with the heat, and therefore dehydration over the last few days especially.




Once we’d finished mum and I went up to Bath and Body Works, which I’d been looking forward to visiting since we booked the trip, like The Cheesecake Factory. They don’t have it in the UK and shipping is so expensive, so I like to stick up a little. I probably spent way too long sniffing candles and hand soaps but I like to make sure the scents I’ve selected are perfect! I ended up with two 3 wick candles, lots of little hand gels since they were a dollar each, and mum bought lots of soaps for our bathrooms. 




Feeling satisfied with our purchases, it was now lunchtime, so we headed to the food court. Although Panda Express turned out to have a few vegetarian options, I opted for vegan chicken and chips in the food court - beige food just felt right. Feeling full, it was then time to head to San Francisco airport, rid ourselves of the car that has caused some troubles. I was very sleepy at this point, so just spent our time in the airport having a chill, stocking up on flight snacks, and trying to stay hydrated. 






The flight was a little delayed, but not irritatingly so. We had a bit of a picnic of each other’s assigned meals on board, and then it was time to sleep. It went reasonably quickly for me, though I’m not sure I slept a whole lot. Landing back in London was a strange feeling, since it’s been a while since we left but still feels like yesterday oddly. Our final mare manifested in being a lost suitcase, left behind in San Francisco, which was just not ideal but hopefully should be back with us soon. 

We stopped at Reading on the way home for refreshments, and eventually we were back in Magor, dad soldiering on driving form the front seat though he was probably even more tired than the rest of us, and now we’ve all crashed a little I think. Despite our mishaps, which are inevitable when travelling with us, I have truly had a brilliant time away. I’ve been so lucky to visit such richly cultured and beautiful countries and explore so many fascinating places. This one has been big, and very different to what we’ve done for the last few years, but it’s reminded me why I adore travel and I’m excited for more future adventures. As always, thanks to anyone who has read along with us. Until next time, over and out. 

Comments

  1. Have loved sharing the experience with you. Looking forward to a detailed debrief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice one my friend, I feel we probably caught snippets of your San Fran love, perhaps no flowers in my hair, Chrissi I'm sure had 1 or 2, yeah, catch up soon for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad your flight and onward journey home was safe 😉
    I’ll miss your daily blogs. Hurry up with the next trip. Sleep well tonight xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of your organisational skills (if not museum recommendations) were missed; look forward to following your Italian adventures and then hope we can all plan some travel again in the future.

      Delete
  3. I have no words for Lloyd! Carys, I’m pretty sure there’s a bath and body works in Cardiff now! We’ve missed you all and look forward to catching up with you all soon, you are always welcome at Wendy’s 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I knew you would take it in the spirit it was meant and I look forward to seeing the title of your autobiography Wendy. See you soon!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely sentiments, Carys

    ReplyDelete
  5. What am I going to do without the breakfast blogs pleased you had a brilliant trip interspaced with a few hiccups. Be very interesting to know what the next agenda is net you are planning already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. plenty of ideas bubbling but will take a few weeks/months to consolidate, Bryn of course off to Greece tomorrow, very different trip that will be. Work and Fitness, and working on fitness in the short term, Belgium for a marathon in September, and the North Wales MND challenge also in September.

      Delete
  6. Although I haven't commented, I've read most of the blog from this trip. If anything, Lloyd, you became more philosophical as the trip progressed, which is a good thing- to reflect on your observations and experiences. I loved reading about Fiji - somewhere I'd like to go one day. Your thoughts about Big Tech companies ring true. I've always had a wary relationship with Facebook. I wish it could be ditched completely- but seemingly many people rely on it to communicate every day stuff. For the moment, is there any alternative?

    Overall. - thank you for sharing with us your family adventures- the minutiae of the daily events and activities, and different cuisines from around the world. Both you and Carys have a talent for writing which has an honesty to it, which makes it so readable.

    Welcome back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Rob, I probably became a bit more grumpy too, but travel does also remind me of personal values and what is important and I hope I can find a sensible way forward on the back of my thinking. Appreciate your comments as ever, and Fiji was a magical experience, I really hope I can make a return to some of the other Islands one day.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Lloyd and Carys for some excellent travel reflections. Have been inspired by your musings and starting to look at a pre Christmas jaunt somewhere seasonal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rhiannon, lovely to hear from you; and whilst a little removed from where we were but at least in the same Hemisphere, perhaps Christmas Island?!

      Delete
  8. Thanks everyone for your lovely words - Carys :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting thought about people saying 'safe flight' - I'm not sure I've encountered the reference in my own travels, though on reflection I remember my grandmother saying - 'safe journey' whenever I was travelling to Birmingham for Uni, and that was only a train journey on a slow route that never seemed very threatening.

    I wonder if there is a French influence 'Bon Voyage' seems much more common a greeting in France than its equivalent in Britain - plenty to ponder!

    Talking of 'surviving' your choice of Palo Alto East does make it sound very serious - but I'm afraid I'm no help. My sister, who used to travel with me in the USA, prior to Drew and I getting together in 2000, was convinced I had a death wish, and that I could find the least salubrious part of any town without looking for it. But having grown up in Bonymaen, lived in the Cimla and spent two years in downtown Aberafan; perhaps I've been more tolerant of down at heel places than she - my family moved to the posher parts of Swansea when I went to Uni at 18 (my sister is five years younger than me) - so she did more of her growing up in leafy Derwen Fawr! Perhaps it makes a difference!!

    I note you ask: " I did plan to buy some stuff, but held back to see what the car bill might look like!" but I'm not sure I saw an answer to that question - hope they took it as normal wear and tear as I was done for $100 cleaning fee on one occasion, after a visit to Monument Valley - I should have washed the car before returning it, as the red sand was a bit of a giveaway!!

    I agree whole heartedly with your sentence: "one of our luggage didn't come with us, but probably the best time for that to happen." Having spent almost a week in San Francisco when my luggage was in Sydney and another week in Rome when my luggage went to Leningrad (as it was called back then), I always assume a bag won't make it. Having taught for the Uni in Bahrain for seven years I always had luggage in Amsterdam, either going or coming back from and to Cardiff - so, assuming it isn't going to turn up always makes me feel like celebrating when it does 🤣



    It is a nice tonic to read Carys post after yours. A much more upbeat reflection, which I suspect reflects you being knackered after the trip. Thanks Carys for your post getting all the way home, another set of amazing memories made. I hope you had as much fun as it sounded you did.


    To conclude (for now). Thanks to both of you Lloyd and Carys, for making the effort to let us join with you on your holiday, warts and all. It has been as much fun as many in the past, and much easier for me, as I've been home while you were away - whereas on a few of your recent trips I've been so busy blogging my own trips that I'd not had so much time to reflect on yours.

    Hope the planning for the next one is on the way - so where is it going to be next???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Haydn. Its funny, I certainly had a relatively leafy suburban upbringing, but we are talking Loughor so you were never far away from a good hiding. (especially as I have always been one to offer my opinions) But in Uni I lived for 2 years in St Marys in the heart of Southampton's red light district, and lots of travels since have seen me in all sorts of interesting areas in London, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. So I'm not completely green to all this; other than being a little worn out I did wonder whether the exposure to so much about U.S gun culture over the years has infected my mind more than I thought, that was certainly the nature of my concern, rather than any general bad behaviour or language, I've followed the Swans for far too long to be not uncomfortable around your non armed hoodlum. Nothing on the car yet, so maybe I can treat myself to a couple of items for my birthday. May have to as no sign of the case and not entirely sure what we have lost yet, as we packed across all 4 cases so everyone will take a bit of a hit. No other big trips planned for this year, we have front loaded our travel, but we do hope to be in Amsterdam for New Year. As to the bigger picture, its Chrissis birthday next year so she may have a few ideas. My bucket list has Patagonia (and a broader South America jaunt), Africa (maybe Kilimanjaro) and a colleague at work today was telling me all about Jordan - I'm thinking the middle east may be best worth a swerve if I founr East Palo Alto a little too risky. Lots more in eastern europe too, and some big rail trips in Canada and Australia at some point I would think. There is also South Korea, Vietnam, and probably a return to Thailand at some point (had a rather odd experience there in my 20s so need to go and take another look) and then India and Sri Lanka too all calling me. I could go on a while .... right, anyway, back to reality, lets start teeing up your next adventure, can't wait for your blog. I'm all set to have another holiday through your very organised itinerary!!

      Delete
    2. Seven days on I'm wondering if the case did finally find its way home? Hope it did.

      I love some of your ideas - I've had a pining for Patagonia and Peru, but never managed to persuade Drew that we might go there - he has pictures of drugs cartels and thinks I'll end up inadvertently being led into shady parts!! - I'm a little prone to inadvertent adventures 😂

      I've worked out in Africa, so visited Kilimanjaro - the bottom not the top!! - in fact, one day I inadvertently walked from Kenya to Tanzania, without realising I was passing an international border - as I was following a path through a corn field! The Tanzanians were very nice about it, they gave me a cup of tea and showed me the way back to Kenya - carefully checking I made it!!

      I have lasting memories of the crossing of the formal border a few days later as you enter the roundabout from a left-hand drive road (Kenya having retained its British tradition in this respect) and come off the roundabout in a right-hand drive road (Tanzania having the German tradition!) It really is as crazy as it sounds.

      I've visited Jordan and think it is still very safe to visit, I think the other side of the river is another story all together. And though my 1980s visit include both Israel and Jordan, I'd not be tempted to visit Israel again in the current climate.

      Having been to all 50 US states and all 10 Canadian provinces I'll have to look for new reasons to go back - though I love travelling there so much, I suspect I'll find a reason. And of course, I've not visited the three Northern Territories yet!

      We have Northern Europe this year and Australia planned for 2024 - so haven't begun to think about 25 or beyond yet!!

      I do hope you have something special arranged for Chrissi's birthday - I look forward to hearing more.

      Delete
    3. thanks Haydn. Yes, case arrived around 2 days later, they have this global tracking service. I'd love to know where it ended up if anywhere, I like to think it had a whole travel experience of its own. Made the whole opening of it a bit of an experience to see what we would have lost and how disappointed we would have been. As well as being the smallest it also seemed to have mainly swimming and running gear so would not have been a major loss, I think we might have been well up on the deal on any compensation claim! Still, was nice to draw a line under the trip and has been great reflecting on it all over the last few days as well as thinking to the future. 2 days in Belgium in September now booked but lots of other thoughts to add to the above. I am amused you do get into a few scrapes, perhaps we aren't so different in our travel experiences after all! Oz next year all whetting the appetite but lets enjoy the northern europe adventure first.

      Delete
  10. I’ve loved reading all your blogs, you both definitely have a talent for writing. This blog and your previous ones have enlightened a new spark in me to travel further and wider, so thank you. Look forward to the next one. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good to hear Vicks, be great to hear about your plans, but first travel... Wyedean Relay!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

fact or fiction, science or fantasy ...

Do you know the (google maps) way to San Jose?